Fan Settings...

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Michelle, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

I'm going to be hitting the UDOO Bolt v8 hard and I've already had it shut down three times on me today...

I think this is to do with fan/cooling settings - where the udoo defaults to a desktop mode where CPU draw is low. I've read the fan settings guide... but to be honest i'm more confused after reading them...

https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/BIOS_UEFI_and_Tools/Fan_Settings.html

What are other odooers using as their settings to drive maximum power...?

Thanks
    Michelle

2. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Well, I've been tussling with this unit all night. Faffed with the fan settings but the unit keeps powering itself off

I bought it for a customer demo next week - and if I can't resolve this issue by Friday. I won't be taking it to the customer. I'll be taking the Intel NUC instead...

3. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

The Bolt has Thermal Throttling configurable under Advanced menu/Main Thermal Configuration submenu, which would lower the operating at the specified setting to make the processor passively cool down.
    Now if the case is in fact thermal shutdown as you mention, you would had done something, as an example if you moved the heatsink around and the thermal paste got misplaced, proper contact with the heatsink is important for cooling. If no proper contact with the heatsink even trying to passively cool at the lowest possible frequency would not had been possible and the processor would shutdown to prevent damage.
    Now if you still want to work the fan at maximum RPM all the time you can set AC1 temperature at the lowest (5 degrees celsius) and the FAN Duty Cycle at 100%, that means if the temperature is above 5C the fan will work 100% and probably make it work like that all the time.
    My setup is Thermal Throttling at 75C, AC0 at 70C, and AC1 at 5C with 100% duty, which make the fan work at 50% all the time, until it reaches 70C where it works 100% and thermal throttles at 75, though yet to see it hit AC0, only at the hottest summer day and it turned on for 2 seconds or something while under heavy gaming on it.

4. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

I meant AC1 at 5C with 50% duty cycle..

5. James_65

James_65 UDOOer

I appreciate the effort you put into sharing these updates. It helps us understand the bigger picture