building Uboot for UDOO

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by davetheguru, Mar 28, 2014.

1. davetheguru

davetheguru New Member

I have had my Udoo quad a short time. Quite a nice little (physically) board (though big in spirit). Great job!!! I look forward to working and learning a great deal from this product.

After getting it going to check it out with the binary image, I wanted to learn how to get it going from 'first principles' as much as possible. So I have been working through the Starting Manual and Wiki. I was able to create the bootable SD card from precompiled binaries (the wiki article seems more up-to-date than the Starting Manual -- though I make a few notes on my copy that clarified the process).

Next, last night, I was able to get to kernel source, and the cross-compiler and build the kernel and modules (even from the brief Starting Manual procedure). And then create the bootable SD card again with the 'new' kernel and module files. But this used the same Uboot and file-system as before.

I was able to find Uboot source (at https://github.com/UDOOboard/U-boot_Unico.git) and download it. However, the Starting Manual nor Wiki mention any procedures for building Uboot from sources. That would be my main question: what is the procedure for building Uboot for Udoo(quad)?

The file-system object would be my next concern but that may be much more involved since that is the whole linux distribution. But any discussion of this (what it would take) is welcome.

Thanks!

2. davetheguru

davetheguru New Member

My message has unreplied for a couple of weeks now. I'm surprised because I would have thought someone would have at least referred me to this message: uboot-now-has-udoo-support-t449.html#p4628

It looks almost complete but has a different source URL. I suppose this one is better than the one in my original post? (or is it essentially the same? or is it better?) Unless someone says they are the same, I may someday, when I get some time, look at both.

3. cirrus

cirrus New Member

I'd love to know the answer to dave's questions too!

4. disneysw

disneysw New Member

The UDOO UBOOT build seems to use the ./compile.sh script in the bootable/bootloader/uboot-imx directory. This is different to how UBOOT is normally compiled.

So it should be as simple as:

Code:
                        cd bootable/bootloader/uboot-imx
                        ./compile.sh

(after editing compile.sh script for your board type).

5. shaunak_s

shaunak_s New Member

Hi
    I have a UDOO quad board and am trying to build U-boot, the Kernel and Android for this.
    I followed the instructions mentioned above to build U-Boot and everything seems to have compiled correctly with u-boot.bin being generated.
    When I run the make.sd script my SD card is prepared but when I plug it into the UDOO board I do not see any U-Boot messages on the terminal.
    Please can you help me out? Does any one have u-boot for the quad built for Android they can share with me?
    Thanks very much.

Regards,
    Shaunak

6. disneysw

disneysw New Member

Try one of the following two commands depending which uboot you are running:

# uboot 2009
    sudo dd if=bootable/bootloader/uboot-imx/u-boot.bin of=${diskname}${prefix} bs=1024 skip=1 seek=1 conv=fsync

# uboot 2013
    sudo dd if=bootable/bootloader/uboot-imx/u-boot.imx of=${diskname}${prefix} bs=1024 seek=1 conv=fsync

Replacing ${diskname}${prefix} with the correct device for your memory card or you could wipe your system.

You don;t need to rerun the make.sd script. The above is enough to get uboot running, after that you can update your script and build a card to see if you can boot the kernel.

FYI, I can get android to boot with uboot 2009, but I cant load the kernel using the uboot 2013 source provided by udoo (uboot itself loads ok).