Installed Arduino IDE to program OTHER arduino boards

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by mdoan7, Nov 4, 2015.

1. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

I know the installed arduino IDE 1.6.5r3 can program M4 but I need it to also program arduino Yun's on the network. I installed the boards but get a gcc error when I try to compile for Yuns.

Is this something missing in the installed IDE?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Easy, just use the Arduino IDE to add more supported boards.
    From the Aurduino IDE -> Tools/Boards/Boards Manager
    Then add the board family that you want to program. This is the same way as on current Aruduino IDE releases for other OSes besides Linux. ex IDE 1.6.x

You will probably be diaspointed with the sloooow speed on compiling Arduiono code using the current NEO build / Aurduino IDE.
    In my case I am not trying to use the Arduino IDE onNEO anymore. Too slow to wait for the compilation. I may try again on new releases.

-Jack

3. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

4. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

You would have thought it to be so easy. However, when I did just that.. the IDE is not able to compile with gcc.

5. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

It is never easy is it?! Sorry it is not working.

I have not tried compiling to other boards yet. Not sure I would do it since the compilation, at least in my case, is sooooo sloow. I know this is all relative. But to program an Arduino today, I would not use and I am not using NEO.

-Jack

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear mdoan7,
    what you mean by saying that your Neo doesn't compile with gcc? Could you be more specific?

7. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

This is what I get in the IDE console window when I try to compile a default (empty) program. Same thing for the blink or any sketch. I don't have any issues if the target is NEO.

Code:
    /home/mdoan/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_AVR_YUN -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8041 -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown" -DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Yun" -I/home/mdoan/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.5/cores/arduino -I/home/mdoan/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.5/variants/yun /tmp/build6054909777515112179.tmp/sketch_nov11a.cpp -o /tmp/build6054909777515112179.tmp/sketch_nov11a.cpp.o
    /home/mdoan/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++: 1: /home/mdoan/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    /home/mdoan/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++ returned 2
    Error compiling.

8. Andrea Rovai

So you are trying to compile for a different board from the Arduino IDE preinstalled on the NEO Linux distribution, aren't you?
    We haven't tried it yet. The Arduino IDE on UDOO Neo currently is a bit rusty, but in short time we'll use the standard method, the board manager I mean, so probably it'll get better

9. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

Yes, that was my intention. I have a unique case where I would like to take advantage of the NEO's arduino IDE to program other similarly networked Arduino's. I know others have reported that the IDE is painfully slow to compile, but that's not of concern in my use case. And yes, I understood that the Arduino side of NEO is not completely baked yet. Just wanted to present the question just incase someone else saw/solved it. Thanks for digging into it.

Is it possible to install the "full" IDE from Arduino download? I downloaded the latest linux32 IDE but probably missed a step in the install.. the program does not run.. hmm... Although it won't program NEO without patching.. it might get me closer to my answer...

10. Andrea Rovai

Please, be clearer:
    • You are downloading the Arduino IDE from? The Arduino website or our website?
    • You are trying to program the Arduino IDE from? Cortex A9 or externally?

11. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

I downloaded from Arduino website.
    I want to use A9, running the Arduino IDE, to program a completely separate Arduino board (an Arduino Yun connected via ethernet on a common network to be specific).

12. Andrea Rovai

The Arduino that you downloaded from Arduino.cc is not compiled for an ARM architecture.
    It won't ever work, never ever, on the A9 of Neo. Unless you recompile it.

13. Andrea Rovai

Folk, I've been too much in a hurry.
    You should install the AVR package for the Arduino IDE preinstalled on the Neo.
    Launch the command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install arduino-core-avr