USB Connection to Debug for Boot Console

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by MJA, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MJA

MJA New Member

I've had my Udoo Neo for about a week now, seems like a great little machine and I have manage to connect successfully to it via SSH using my Mac through Ethernet cable or via USB cable from a Linux laptop, or via VMware Windows 10 machine image using USB cable on my Mac, but whatever I do there doesn't seem to be anyway to monitor the boot process via USB cable to the micro usb connector. The documentation suggests this is possible but when I reboot the Neo I lose the USB connection and never see the boot activity.

The reason I want to watch the boot process is that I have not been able to get HDMI connection to an Apple DVI monitor to to work, also when I connect via VNC I can connect but the VNC screen is just a blank grey screen.

Any thoughts ?

2. David wang

David wang New Member

I can only connect this board using usb, can also see the boot disk.
    When I try to connect to it via ssh using my windows7, it doesnot work.
    Are you ok in windows7?

3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

@MJA: You need to connect through serial on OTG through the Serial Debug module.
    The serial on microusb is available only after boot
    Please tell me what in the docs made you think what you told, and I'll fix it

4. MJA

MJA New Member

Hi Andrea thanks for the quick reply, yes I think I misunderstood the comments here on this page http://udoo.org/docs-neo/Hardware_Reference/Serial_Debug_Port.html this section of the document is titled Serial Debug Port in the left hand menu, and it has two sections on the page titled Serial Debug Port and Access Serial from Micro USB, so I incorrectly assumed that the Micro USB was also available for debug.

So correct answer is that to monitor the Neo A9 boot up sequence you must connect a serial adapter to pins 46 and 47 is that accurate ?

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Yep, you're correct mate!