UDOO X86 Power Supply

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by TimJohnArm, Aug 8, 2017.

1. TimJohnArm

TimJohnArm New Member

I already have a 12V 3A power supply it's a PowerTran M8937B described as "12V DC Switchmode Plugpack Supplied with fixed polarity 2.1mm DC +ve tip" and I'm wondering if I can use it with an UDOO X86 Advanced SBC?

I checked the manual and it's got pin-outs for everything except the DC connector jack.

2. TimJohnArm

TimJohnArm New Member

Got some help from the Tech Support people at Mouser who pointed me at section 2.3 of the manual, which I had embarassingly missed.

So the board has a normal jack with the internal pin +ve. I'll double check the supply when I can find my multi-meter but it seems like I'm good to go.

3. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I would expect it to work fine. 12V power supplies of appropriate spec seem to be quite common.

In practise if you do not have anything with significant power requirements plugged into the USB sockets then even a 2A supply is likely to be fine. My Ultra board with Bluetooth+WiFi +SSD seems to take less than 1A according to my tests if I have nothing other than keyboard/mouse plugged in via USB. I find this to be very convenient as I have lots of those around that originally came for USB cases that take 3.5” hard drives.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer