Responsiveness of the X86 GPIO pins

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by BrassCat, Jun 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BrassCat

BrassCat New Member

Hello the Forum, Thanks for the privilege to post.

I have an app requiring fast and synchronized response on several GPIO pins. If as square waves then frequency would be 1 Mhz on down to DC. I would expect a 2Ghz processor to deliver much signals much faster. Maybe a related question would be: from completion of and OUT command, what delay until I see it on the GPIO (as output) pin? The processor is sure fast enough to handle the math. Question is how responsive are these pins. I see that some are configurable as UARTS and other things, but prior experience with other micros, GPIO would not in themselves be bogged down by that.

Thanks for any assistance, BrassCat

2. BrassCat

BrassCat New Member

Hello Again, I might add, I sure it will make a difference how much operating system the output request has to wade through. I am considering UNBUTU. I don't know if it does not allow direct I/O control. So then, what options are there.?

3. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Software based timing, if precision (multiple parameters) is required, is not reliable for many reasons.
    Since I don't see you be able to list these parameters as well as understanding realtime OS, I'd suggest you go for a specialty hardware based solution.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer