Antenna Connector - WiFi Module - Damaged

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Waldo Dobbs, May 20, 2017.

1. Waldo Dobbs

Waldo Dobbs New Member

Hi Team Udoo,

Got my device last week - very excited to play with it this weekend. (Downloading Win10 ISO currently)

I received all parts as expected, unfortunately though, one of the antenna connectors was damaged in transit. http://imgur.com/a/BzIup (apologies for the horrible quality image - hard to get good detail up close)

I'm not planning on using BT, so connected the one Antenna to Main Port A on the Intel WiFi module.

Based on info here: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Hardware_&_Accessories/Official_Accessories.html - both antennas are required for the module to work correctly. (But appears one antenna is WiFi, the other being Bluetooth)

Can anyone confirm the Intel AC3168 module will work successfully for WiFi with only a single antenna connected? (I'll be building with wired, but plan to use WiFi once software is complete)

Will try to bend it back into shape so I can use it on the Bluetooth port.

-Waldo

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yes, you only need to plug into the port closest to the center of the module (the one labeled MAIN) nearest the retention screw if you only need Wifi...

3. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

NGFF boards use MHF4 connector for RF connections.
    This type is tiny, fragile, and needs to be carefully inserted (straight lined up, aligned then vertically push down, no wiggle, no yank) into receptacle.

P.S> you can buy MHF4 antenna inexpensively from fleabay. Just need to wait longer.

ccs_hello

4. Waldo Dobbs

Waldo Dobbs New Member

Thanks ccs_hello - The connector type I wasn't sure about. Have ordered a pigtail from MHF4 to SMA antenna, which will suit an old Cisco WiFi antenna I have... I'll use the pigtail to get the antenna away from the chassis, and use the good connector on the bluetooth side (I still don't think I have a use for Bluetooth, but would prefer it be available, if required)