Assistance with the IoT project's UDOO X86 and Arduino integration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yojamog959, Sep 14, 2024.

1. yojamog959

yojamog959 UDOOer

Hello Everyone,

I could use some help integrating UDOO X86 with Arduino 101 for an IoT project I'm working on. My objective is to build a smart home system that allows data to be sent from sensors that are connected to an Arduino board to UDOO X86 for processing and display on a personalised dashboard. I've managed to get each component to function on its own, but I'm having trouble getting Arduino and the UDOO X86 board to communicate.

This is what I have managed to do thus far:
    • Temperature and humidity sensors are successfully providing data to the Arduino.
    • Ubuntu 20.04 is installed on the UDOO X86, and Node-RED has been installed to manage data flow.
    • To read the sensor data and print it to the serial monitor, I've created a simple script in the Arduino IDE.
    My difficulties:
    1. Serial Communication: I'm having trouble getting the Arduino and UDOO X86 to communicate serially. I've attempted to use the Arduino sketch's usual Serial.begin(), but it doesn't appear that the UDOO is receiving the data correctly.
    2. Data handling: I intend to transfer the data from the UDOO to a cloud computing platform, such as AWS or Azure, for additional processing. How should this flow be structured? Which protocol should I use: HTTP requests, MQTT, or another one?
    3. Power Management: My goal is to optimise the system's energy efficiency. Are there any recommended methods or techniques for maximising snowflake power consumption, particularly considering that the Arduino and UDOO X86 will be operating constantly?
    I would be very grateful for any tutorials, code samples, or help! Thanks in advance.