GSM instead of WI-FI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hillcz, Nov 3, 2013.

1. hillcz

hillcz Member

Hi all
    Sorry for my english :( . I have one suggestion. It would be possible GSM module instead of WI-FI ??

THX

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

You can certainly have a GSM/GPRS module, nothing to do really with whether you have/use WiFi.

These usually come as Shields but you'd be better off getting a module. They usually are controlled via AT commands over a serial interface IIRC.

If you opt for a Shield, you would just need to ensure the GSM/GPRS module is compatible with 3.3v logic (like an Arduino Due) or if not use a Shifter (which maps 0-5V to 0-3.3V).

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Here is a module that is independent, just feed it 5V and plug in a serial cable and you're away (cheaper and easier than Shields).

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I like the look of this module much better.

Looks like you can control it via SPI, Serial, I2C etc... much more flexible.

I've not done a thorough search but the number of options for Shields seems limited. If you just want a shield you want to plug in you will; a) need to pay 2-3 times the money b) probably add a Shifter Shield inbetween (adding more expense).

5. Xykon

Xykon Member

I haven't tested this personally but I would assume any 3G/4G USB stick with Linux support would work as well if you just need network connectivity. It would also be a lot easier to get working instead of a serial module. Another possibility would be to get an external Wifi/3G access point.

Of course if you want to make voice calls then you need a full GSM shield/module.

Does anyone know what kind of interface is used for the Wifi shield?

6. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

As says Xykon the simplest way is to use 3g usb stick.

7. firehopper

firehopper Member

the little wifi module uses usb according to a post I read. So Not 100% sure on that.

come on! wheres my udoo? :) PREORDER #103, missed the kickstarter

8. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

quite right, a plug in USB stick (with Linux drivers) would be easier... but where's the fun in that!

(also USB might be in short supply unless you add in a USB hub).

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

or our case designers could add in a USB hub panel to the case design and connect it on J24 :)

10. hillcz

hillcz Member

Hi all
    I know that use USB stick is easy but not good choice for industrial design. In my project industrial PC if WiFi or Ethernet is not available.