HDMI hotplug?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by mcgillca, Mar 30, 2018.

1. mcgillca

mcgillca New Member

Hi - my name is Colin McGill. I've just started with my UDOO x86.
    My intent is to use this for astrophotography (I've been using an Odroid XU4 previously, but liked the idea of the extra power and USB 3 ports).

The main application I use is The Sky X. When I connect the UDOO X86 to an HDMI port, everything works fine - including over x11vnc.

However, when I restart the box without an HDMI port connected the programme GUI is incredibly slow - it takes 5 or six seconds to register that you have pressed on a button for example.

I'm using Ubuntu Mate 16.04.

I have no idea why this might happen - on my Odroid (or on a Pi) I typically use HDMI hotplug to set my default resolution and ensure the display is on. Is there a similar mechanism to get the HDMI display to start even when running headless?

Thank you,

Colin

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. mcgillca

mcgillca New Member

Thank you for your reply.

I’ve worked out a (temporary) solution - the programme allows you to specify whether it uses hardware acceleration or not - by turning acceleration off, all works as it should. This ties in with my description earlier - when the HDMI cable is on, then hardware acceleration must be enabled, but off when connected only via x11vnc which then causes a problem.

To answer your questions:
    1) I’m using Ubuntu mate 16.04 (just because its what runs on the Odroid and also runs on the Pi).
    2) Ubuntu mate doesn’t come with a VNC server installed. - and I want to share the main screen, which is straightforward with x11vnc.
    3) I haven’t installed the graphics update - will this work with Ubuntu 16.04? The docs say it was targeted for ubuntu 17.10 and that support for earlier versions is no longer provided? I can try and see if that fixes it.
    4) I haven’t tried another VNC server - but I think I’ve now established that its because the graphics acceleration is disabled when the HDMI port is not connected - any ideas how to ensure it works even when there is no direct display connected?

Thank you very much,

Colin

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I see now that the intel graphics driver update tool is not available anymore for 16.04. It was back then. I do not know how to update now.