Softserial

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by cgallant, Apr 18, 2018.

1. cgallant

cgallant New Member

Does anyone know if softserial works on the onboard arduino 101?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you check the Software Serial documentation?
    https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial

3. cgallant

cgallant New Member

Thanks Waltervl. I was hoping you'd reply. Yes, I checked the documentation. I'm communicating on pins 2 and 3 at 4800 baud. No luck, so I was wondering if anyone else had been successful.

4. cgallant

cgallant New Member

I did some further analysis. So to recap... I am sending a char via softserial to an Arduino Teensy 3.2. The Teensy reads the data using its serial2 pin. The setup works when the soft serial sender is an Arduino Uno rather than the onboard Arduino 101. A logic analyzer indicates that the onboard Arduino 101 transmits soft serial data properly until it is connected to the Serial2 receive on the Teensy. When the Arduino 101 is connected to the Teensy, the Arduino 101 line goes flat. Any theories?

Has anyone gotten softserial to work between the Arduino 101 and another Arduino?

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

6. cgallant

cgallant New Member

Problem solved. The onboard Arduino 101's transmit pin's pinMode needs to be set to OUTPUT.

TGo1 and waltervl like this.
  7. cgallant

cgallant New Member

Thanks waltervl. I was using the curie softserial library and still pinMode must be set to OUTPUT on the transmit pin for it to work.

One note... when one includes the curie softserial library using the dropdown (as in the Intructables you linked to), the header file name is identical to that of the normal Arduino softserial library (i.e. SoftwareSerial.h). So I think it's the same library and it's unclear to me why they gave it a special dropdown.

waltervl likes this.